Sunday, January 13, 2013

Place Names in Michigan

I was born in Michigan, and I have lived virtually my entire life here.  At one time or another, I've traveled to just about every corner of my native state.  I'm sure that your states have some pretty fun place names, too (I'm thinking of one small town in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in particular) (also Pee Pee Creek, and its eponymous township, in Pike County, Ohio), but here's a sampler from where I live. . .

-------------------------

In Michigan, we have both a Hell and a Paradise.  In Hell, there is, as you might suspect, a bar (called the Dam Site Inn, as it sits next to, you know, a dam), and a post-office/country store/gift shop (called The Handbasket), where you can buy a "We've Been Through Hell Together" bumper sticker, or a miniature baseball bat, bearing the inscription, "Genuine, Official Bat Out of Hell".  (Incidentally, the road into Hell from the east is named Darwin Road; just sayin'. . .)  On the other hand, Jen and I spent a night in Paradise on our honeymoon (really! It's the closest town to Tahquamenon Falls) (that's ta-KWA-ma-non). . .

We have both a Romulus and a Remus, which are pretty much the polar opposite of twin cities, even aside from the fact that they're 150 miles apart.  Romulus is the home of Detroit / Wayne County Metropolitan Airport; Remus is the post office (and that's just about all there is there) closest to the farm where my dad grew up. . .

And not far from Remus is Mount Pleasant, which sits on some of the flattest land in the state of Michigan.  Some years ago, there was a waggish bumper sticker proclaiming, "I Climbed Mount Pleasant". . .

Then there's Needmore; I've been there, and they do. . .

And Maybee; or, you know, Maybee not. . .

And speaking of bees, way Up North, there's a tiny village called Topinabee; go ahead, guess how to say it, I'll wait. . .  It's top-in-a-BEE. . .

Then there's Paw Paw, which is not far from Kalamazoo, about which more below.  As it turns out, it's actually named for the pawpaw fruit which was abundant in the area, once upon a time.  Nowadays, it's more-or-less the center of Michigan's southern wine region, besides having a cute name.  (And hey, we've got Paw Paw, Ohio's got Pee Pee; anybody care to raise their hand for Poo Poo?)

Michgan's 'Thumb' is home to a couple of my favorites: Bad Axe (which is, you know, a pretty BA name for a town) and Ubly.  I understand what a bad axe is, as opposed to a good one; I'm just not sure I'd name a town after one.  And then, I imagine the cheerleading squad from Ubly High chanting, "U - B - L - Y, We ain't got no alibi, we're Ubly!"  And I wonder if the winner of the local beauty pageant might really be called 'Miss Ubly'. . .

Also in Michigan's Thumb is the village of Yale, pronounced just like the Ivy League university, which hosts the annual Bologna Festival, and elects a Bologna Queen to preside over the festivities. . .

-------------------------

Native-American-derived place names can be an ongoing fount of amusement, for folks whose minds twist that way -

Of course, as I promised, there's Kalamazoo - When I was in college, there was a guy from New Jersey who lived on my dorm floor, who went through most of the fall term insisting that Kalamazoo wasn't a real place, and someone had obviously made it up as a joke.  Finally, we introduced him to a guy who was, you know, actually FROM Kalamazoo. . .

And heck, even Michigan itself, which derives from the Ojibwa 'mitchee-gamee' which, in turn, is related to 'gitchee-gumee' (as in Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Song of Hiawatha), meaning 'Big Water', which seems sufficiently self-evident. . .

Also the Manitou Islands, in northern Lake Michigan.

Then there's Muskegon (mus-KEE-gun) and Ontonagon (on-tuh-NOGgin), which, in spite of what they look like, really aren't geometric figures. . .

On the border between Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Wisconsin lies the city of Menominee, which I can't say without imagining a cheesy chorus singing "doot-DOO-du-du-doo" in the background. . .

And of course, the aforementioned Tahquamenon Falls and Topinabee.  And even Saginaw, though I've never hitch-hiked there. . .

Also Wequetonsing (wek-weh-TAHN-sing), just because it sounds cool. . .

-------------------------

The French fur traders who roamed the Great Lakes region before the days of settled civilization bequeathed us with some place names that are wonderfully counter-intuitive to English-speakers -

Start with one with which you're probably all familiar - Sault Ste. Marie (known more coloquially as 'The Soo', which is pretty much a dead giveaway for how to pronounce the first French word in the name), meaning, 'St. Mary's Falls, since there is a long stretch of rapids in the St. Mary's River there, which, in the fullness of time, necessitated the digging of the Soo Locks.

There's Mackinac Island and the Straits of Mackinac, spanned by a majestic bridge bearing the same name.  The village on the south shore of the straits punted, and called themselves Mackinaw City, with a 'w'; I suppose, because they got tired of tourists from out-of-state calling them Mackin-ACK (somewhere, Billy Joel is singing, 'ack-ack-ack-ack-ack'). . .

Twenty miles or so east of the Straits of Mackinac is Bois Blanc Island ('white woods').  Which all the locals know is pronounced 'Bob-Lo'.

And Cadillac, which is in the opposite corner of the Lower Peninsula from where luxury cars are made. . .

-------------------------

We Michiganders (or Michiganians; I think it's still something of an open question) also seem to have a unique proclivity for 'mispronouncing' place names, particularly ones that have obviously been borrowed from other places and things whose pronunciation is well-established.  A few examples -

Lake Orion - Not The Hunter from your star chart; this one is pronounced ORRY-un.

Charlotte - The emPHAsis goes on the second sylLABle: sher-LOTT (some locals aren't very punctilious about the 'r', and it comes out more like 'sha-LOTT').  Once, when I was in college, there was a girl named Charlotte in one of my classes (pronounced in the usual way); one might think, given the large city in North Carolina, and the eponymous children's-story spider, that the pronunciation of her name might seem somewhat obvious, but the instructor kept calling her sher-LOTT, for the entire term. . .

Milan - Named after the city in Italy, right?  Maybe, but it's pronounced MY-lun. . .

Chesaning - Just look at it, and you think you know how to say it; but it's chess-NING

Pompeii - POMpey-eye; 'nuff said

And Durand - DOO-rand; I am not making any of this up.

Armada - Think of the Spanish fleet that sailed against England in the 1500s?  Try ar-MAY-da. . .

Mikado - In a similar vein, it's mi-KAY-doh

Argentine - the final syllable sounds like the points of a fork (I know, right?)

And, it's not the general, common, pronunciation, but I can't resist mentioning that my mother-in-law (who, I should also mention, I dearly love, and is the best MIL anyone could ever have) pronounces Lake Huron, and the city of Port Huron, at its southern terminus, not HYER-ahn (or maybe HYOO-rawn, if you affect a slightly snooty accent), like most of us do, but homophonically with 'urine' (dropping the leading 'H', and clipping the second syllable just a bit); sometimes the city comes out sounding like 'porch urine', like your dog had an accident.  I've not been above asking (teasingly) (very affectionately teasingly) if the water at the southern end of the lake had a yellowish hue, or what. . .

-------------------------

And finally, we come to my favorite river, the Tittabawassee River (pronounced pretty much how it looks: titta-ba-WAH-see); just because it's fun to say 'Tittabawassee'. . .

"Tittabawassee". . . heh. . .

*************************

And wow - yesterday got up to 60F around these parts (and Friday was in the 50s, so the snow was all gone).  I really wasn't feeling good.  At all.  I think I had some kind of very mild flu, or something; just kinda achy and lethargic.  But you don't get many 60-degree days in January around here, so I dragged the bike out of the basement and got out for 10 miles, just because.  Now, 10 miles is just barely enough to get out to the cornfields and wave before heading back into town.  But it's miles; real, live, outdoors-on-the-road miles (and it's odd, how 45 minutes on the road will wear me out WAY more than an hour on the stationary bike indoors).  And this is now the 23rd consecutive month in which I've had outdoor miles; the last time I flipped the page on the calendar without any outdoor miles was at the end of February 2011. . .

23 comments:

  1. An awesome lesson on Michigan! We have a lot of Native American names here. Someone mentioned to me, after moving to the area, that she was surprised by how many addresses ended in 'Trail' instead of Drive or Road, etc. possibly the Native American influence?

    I had no idea there was a Pee Pee Creek! My favorite town name that we drove through when I was a kid was Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. Being that the show was popular at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you could do the same thing with every state in the union you would have a best seller on your hands, although I'm not sure every state would be as entertaining as Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, i just don't even bat an eyelash at the names derived from native american terms. i figure they are legit. most folks know PA has an intercourse. what they don't know is that you have to go through intercourse to get to paradise. if you make a wrong turn you end up in blue ball. way up north we have hop bottom. i.am.not.kidding.

    we get very biblical with nazareth, emmaus, and bethlehem.

    we have california, indiana, and east texas. the state of wyoming was named for our wyoming valley.

    you can bathe in bath or shop in emporium or work in industry. you could even swim in jersey shore. i don't know if you can gamble in fairchance or not. and i have no idea what anyone does in nanty-glo or scalp level.

    we have athens, rome, and troy, as well as belfast or dublin depending upon your political views, dallas, etna, glasgow, st. petersburg, oxford, halifax. heck, you could even go as far as mars.

    of course we always enjoyed when beaver college and slippery rock college met each other in contests of sport.

    oh, and of all the hundreds of municipalities in our fine commonwealth only ONE is incorporated as a town...bloomsburg. all the others are either cities, boroughs, townships, or villages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, i also forgot bangor and mount bethel which are side by side. the local joke is....bangor? no, i don't even know her...i'd rather mount bethel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Circumspice!

    Ah, Michigan. I'd never been there until The Second Mrs. Pennington took me home to meet the family in 1977. I was immediately struck with how BEAUTIFUL the state is, given we left her homestead in the Thumb, journeyed north to the Soo, and then across the UP to NoDak where I was to be stationed for a year.

    I did a lot of traveling around the state during my ten years in Detroit; I still miss it. But I DON'T miss the winters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps some day you can visit us in Intercourse, PA. Current thinking has us semi-retiring somewhere in that general vicinity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bijoux - Pee Pee Creek flows into the Scioto River at Waverly. I first saw it mentioned in Allan Eckert's The Frontiersman (which is, btw, a wonderful book. . .)

    joeh - I'm sure you're right. I just don't know any other states nearly as well as I know Michigan. . .

    Lime - It's even better than I thought, isn't it?

    You wanna write the Pennsylvania chapter for the book joeh wants me to publish?

    I ride my bike thru Bath, MI all the time. Every summer, they have the Tub Races, where they mount bathtubs on wheels and push 'em down the main drag (two pushers, one passenger). . .

    And I don't know why, but Slippery Rock College has captured imaginations around these parts. The Slippery Rock score gets announced at all the U-M games. . .

    Buck - Si quaeris paeninsulam amoenam. . .

    TSMP was from the Thumb? Small world. . . So you must've crossed the Bridge on yer way thru. . .

    Xavier - Maybe you could join an Amish church. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Buck, again - It IS a beautiful state, ain't it? Especially if you come in thinkin' that Detroit is the whole story. The North, and the Lakes, are just lovely. . .

    An' lissen. . . if this whole 'global warming' thing works out, the winters might not be so bad, any more. . . I mean, I was out on my bike yesterday, right? ('course, today, we're gettin' an inch of snow. . .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were warmer than us yesterday... we never got above freezing. I'm gonna call Sheik al-Gore and complain.

      Delete
  9. I've driven through all the contiguous 48 states, and EVERY state has it's own corner of Heaven nestled within it's boundaries. But Michigan has one thing most states envy.... Water!!!!
    And LOTS of it!
    You can have your Earthquakes
    You can have your Hurricanes
    You can have your draughts
    You can have your Tornados
    You can have your Avalanches
    You can have your Dustbowls
    You can have your Eight Month Winters
    You can have your Chiggers, Scorpions, Cotton Mouths, Gators, Grizzly Bears, and Nutrias.
    I'll eat Walleye, Apple Pie, Thimbleberry Jam made by the Monks, and top it all off with a Koegel Vienna!!!
    I'm a Michigan Man I Am
    And even though Flint is rated the #1 city in America for violent crime, it's the Home of General Motors, the birthplace of the Community School System, it's afforded me a decent career and home for 63 years.
    I love this Winter-Water Wonderland.
    Thanks Craig

    ReplyDelete
  10. G-Man - You are most welcome, sir. . .

    "I'm a Michigan Man I Am"

    That would be two of us. Unless, of course, you're talking about the 'University of'; can't go there with ya. But the rivalry is fun, when it manages to keep from gettin' nasty. . .

    And yeah, Water and Winter are the things we do best, eh?

    Flint has also supplied my alma mater with some mighty fine hoopsters, in recent years. . .

    (We should grab coffee sometime; I go by Flint every day on my way to/from work. . .)

    Back @Lime, again - I just love 'Nanty Glo' and 'Scalp Level'; 'Nanty Glo' sounds like a special set of crayon colors, or something. . . ;)

    And all those 'other state' places are too funny ('Indiana, Pennsylvania' cracks me up whenever I hear it. . .)

    -----

    And now I'm waitin' to hear from Flutterby from Saskatchewan, where they have Saskatoon and Moose Jaw, and they pronounce 'Regina' to rhyme with. . . well, you know. . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just a few interesting place to see in New York:
    Mexico, Florida, Love canal, Hicksville, Yonkers, Flushing, Halfmoon, Butternuts, Busti, Horseheads, Fishkill, Coxsackie, Fishes Eddy, Campville, Tuckahoe, Cuttabackville, Stormville, Beaverkill, Bath, Butts Corner, Catatonk, Cat Elbow Corner, Climax, Fink Basin.

    Need more? Just ask ....

    BTW- 4 of the above is within an hour of me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My home province up here in the Great White North is a strange name, in itself. Saskatchewan (sask-at'-chew-won); My own city is named after a Lady Monarch, Regina. Unfortunately, it sounds like the word you think it might... leading many of us residents to dub it "The City that Rhymes with FUN"

    There are also a good number of towns and villages with names that reflect their French heritage; such as Bienfait, Isle La Crosse, Fort Qu'Appelle, Lafleche and the list goes on.

    Also prevalent are names which reflect the Native heritage: Moosomin, Nipawin, Nokomis,Porcupine Plain, Moose Jaw, Turtleford, Wawota and the list goes on.

    Perhaps the best village name combination I have encountered was on a road trip last year, driving first through the Hamlet of Love and a while later passing through the Village of Climax. Made me wonder what is in the water round those parts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Xavier - Glad you found time to stop by! A worthy list. . .

    And dang it! I forgot to mention Climax, MI (which is just on the other side of Kalamazoo from Paw Paw, whatever that might signify). We've also got a Flushing and a Bath; so, you know, if we only had a Sink and a Showerhead, we'd have all yer bathroom fixtures represented. . .

    And Love Canal. . . I remember the headlines from the 70s. . . but geez, what were the folks thinkin', who named that town?

    Flutter - Thanks for stopping by! I knew you wouldn't let me down. . .

    We've got Porcupine Mountains here in MI, fwiw.

    It's good that you go thru Love to get to Climax (again with the Climax! I guess Climaxes are easier to come by than I might've thought) (ba-doomp!) And I'm getting a chuckle from the way 'those kind' of place names seem to cluster together (see Lime's comment above re PA). And, uh, no 'cluster' jokes allowed. . .

    I've wondered for a long time about Regina. I mean, everywhere else in the world (except maybe Michigan) would pronounce it 'reh-JEE-na'; what's goin' on there on the Canadian prairie?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, I love stuff like this. Having formerly been the voice of Showcase Cinemas, in some 16 or 17 states, I did my fair share of theaters in Michigan. I can attest to MY-lan being the correct pronunciation. I found that out toot sweet the first time I sent them a tape wherein I said mih-LAHN.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suldog - Fun, ain't it?

    So, if I hear an ad for the Showcase Cinema in Milan, it would be your voice?

    Anyway, thanks for reinforcing my cred. . .

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a photograph of me in my younger days on a cross country trip with a woman I barely knew. Like I said, I was young. We are standing in front of a sign called Bucksnort, Tennessee with our arms around each other. The wind was blowing and my braids are sticking up exactly like Pippi Longstocking....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maria - Thanks for stopping by! I have my own storehouse of youthful, uh, indiscretions, so I'll certainly allow you yours. . .

    And - 'Bucksnort'. . . good one. . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought I had commented on this post already, but I guess I hadn't. Thank you for putting "Menominee" on the map! :D Having grown up in Menominee County, I've had plenty of occasions for people to sing the "doot-DOO-du-du-doo" after I tell them where I'm from. And I usually say Menominee, even though the actual town I grew up in was "Daggett", which just sounds like you stubbed your toe and came up with the name for a small village.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jen - Jeez, it took you long enough! I put that 'Menominee' bit in there as bait for you. . . Well, OK, the Muppets' song bit is pretty funny, all by itself. . .

    And non-Michiganders really don't have any idea just how far Menominee is from the parts of the state where anyone lives. Or why you're all Packer fans. . . (Hmmmm. . . Green Bay, 50 miles; Detroit, 500 miles. . .) If someone from Menominee wanted to go to, say, Benton Harbor, it's probably closer to go thru Chicago, than over the bridge, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Jen, again - Heck, I grew up in Alpena (I won't go into some of the jokes we heard about the name of our town) (I mean, I never knew anyone named 'Al' when I lived there. . .), which is already pretty far north, and our longest trip of the year was when we played in Escanaba, which isn't even all the way to Menominee. . .

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Quite the diversity of nomenclature in MIchigan, sounds like, probably due to the diverse influences. Minnesota tends to be dominated by Dakato Sioux-sounding names, with the occasional French-derivation thrown in (thanks to French fur traders, we're told. (Le Center, Nicollet). Then there is Embarrass MInnesota, known to be the coldest place in the lower 48.

    I envy the weather. Yesterday was -14 in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for stopping by Geezers! I had a friend who hailed from Virginia, Minnesota (to borrow from another theme), and another from Eveleth. I'd be embarrassed to be from Embarrass. . . And heck, Minneapolis is closer to Menominee than Detroit is. . .

    ;)

    And @Lime once more - considering the day. . . we forgot Punxsutawney!

    ReplyDelete