Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Did Not See This Coming. . .

I almost hate to break into Holy Week with something so mundane as my sporting interests, but. . .

My Spartans are back in the Final Four, for the seventh time in Coach Izzo's 20-year tenure.  This has got to be the most improbable of all his Final Fours, or any of the others in the history of my alma mater (both of 'em).  We graduated a decorated group of players from last year's team, and this had all the earmarks of a rebuilding season.  We just didn't have the kind of players that make deep tournament runs (I mean, heck, we lost to Texas Southern in December - at home!).  Even as late as February, there were serious questions as to whether our string of consecutive NCAA tournament appearances (this is our 18th) would be coming to an end this year.  But things came together in the waning weeks of the season, and we made a solid showing in the conference tournament.

We got a 7th seed in the NCAAs, which seemed a tad low, by the time we got there (but only a tad; I thought we deserved a 6th seed, or maybe a 5th).  We duly won our first round game, and then threw a complete defensive blanket over Virginia, a highly-ranked team who won the regular-season championship of the vaunted ACC.  In the next two rounds, we came from behind in both games to pull out gritty, hard-fought victories.

And now we are in the Final Four.  Again.  We play Duke this Saturday, and we don't exactly have a long track record of success against them (Coach Izzo's teams have beaten Duke exactly once in nine tries); and they hung a ten-point loss on us back in November, just to reinforce the point.  But, you know, that was then, and this is now.  And even if we should somehow beat the Dookies, Kentucky is looming, and the conventional wisdom says that nobody can beat Kentucky this year.  But, you know, once you get to the rarefied air of the Final Four, you never know what might happen.  And no matter what happens, it's been a heckuva ride already.  So, we shall see what we shall see. . .

GO GREEN!

And, just for fun, there's this. . .

16 comments:

  1. I'm forced to do a bracket every year, as we do a big extended family competition. I filled mine out based on good weather, so Michigan didn't get far . . . My husband has them against KY in the championship. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We played Georgia in the opening round, so I assume you didn't have us going past that, then?

      How far did you have yer Buckeyes going? ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I had VCU beating them, don't worry! Though C-bus has considerably less snow than you or I deal with.

      Delete
  2. Is it true that they were wearing maze and blue when they greeted their fans after returning home from the last victory?

    I have to ask because I really can't trust what my brother in law tells me about such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked the article about the celebration 'back home', and they were wearing dark green sweatsuits, trimmed with black.

      The 'official' Regional Champions hats they were issued immediately after the game were black, with yellow/gold lettering. Someone who really wanted to might take the black for really dark blue; but the lettering was clearly NOT maize. . . ('course, us being the ag school and all, we just call it corn. . .)

      ;)

      Sheesh; never thought I'd be doing fashion reviews in my comment-space. . .

      Delete
    2. Maybe next year I should do my brackets based on team fashion?

      Delete
    3. I recall one year when one of the women cleaned up in the office pool by picking teams according to her favorite colors. . .

      Delete
    4. I chalk it up to wishful thinking on the part of a UofM diehard.
      Back in the day if the Wolverines hadn't had tho funny lookin' helmets, they coulda been mistaken for Cal or West Virginia.

      Delete
  3. Final four can be exciting. I'll be routing for Duke...bunch of relatives graduated there, otherwise good luck to your Spartans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between Coach Izzo and Coach K, there's 19 Final Fours. We've been in the same F4 four times, but this will be just the second time we've played each other there.

      Surely you agree that, Duke having won eight of the nine previous meetings, it's our turn, right?

      OK, maybe you don't agree. . .

      ;)

      Delete
  4. I don't follow b-ball, but I'm pleased for your team! And, of course, even though I'm not a follower, excellence in any endeavor is fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Dave. 'Rejoice with those who rejoice,' and all that. I appreciate it. . .

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you; we're havin' fun with it. . .

      Delete
    2. All things considered, they done real good.

      Delete