Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Well, Here We Are. . .

When I'm Sixty-Four (John Lennon - Paul McCartney)

When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a Valentine,
Birthday greeting, bottle of wine?
If I've been out 'til quarter-til-three
Would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we could rent a cottage on the Isle of Wight, 
If it's not too dear.
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee - 
Vera, Chuck and Dave

I could be handy mending a fuse when your lights have gone.
You could knit a sweater by the fireside,
Sunday mornings, go for a ride.
Doing the garden, digging the weeds,
Who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older, too. . .
And if you say the word,
I could stay with you.

Send me a postcard, drop me a line, stating points of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say - 
"Yours sincerely, wasting away."
Give me your answer, fill in a form - 
Mine forever more;
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

------------------------------

When I got up this morning, Birthday Breakfast was waiting on the table for me.  And there are rumors that my kids and grandkids (none of whom, oddly enough, are named Vera, Chuck or Dave) will be joining us for a celebratory meal, which may or may not culminate with pumpkin cheesecake. . .

Looks promising, indeed. . .  ;)

13 comments:

  1. When I play this on guitar I change it to 84.

    Happy Birthday friend. For me the years from 64 to 74 have been the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! I'll look forward to that, then. . . ;)

      Delete
  2. Happy happy!

    58 just doesn't work for that song .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been waiting for this birthday for a while. . .

      The year Paul himself turned 64, his second wife (the one-legged one) was dumping him. So I guess he got his answer (just not the one he might've hoped for). . .

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday!!! Sorry I missed the pumpkin cheesecake! My daughter celebrated hers yesterday with her fave dessert . . . Doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Happy Birthday to your daughter! Gets tough to put very many candles on a doughnut after a while, doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. How'd I miss this milestone?
    Oh, yeah... I haven't even been looking at my own blog lately.
    Anyway:
    ♪♪♫♪ HaPpY bIrThDaY tO yOu ♫♪
    ♪♫ hApPy BiRtHdAy To YoU ♪♫♪
    ♫♪♪ HaPpY bIrThDaY dEaR cRaIg ♪♫♫
    ♪ ♫♪ HaPpY bIrThDaY tO yOu ♫♪♪
    ♫♫♪♫♪and many more! ♫ ♪ ♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw gee, thanks Skip!

      (*metaphorically blowing out metaphorical candles*)

      Delete
  5. 64 is just a number. Wishing you many more birthdays filled with love, affection, celebration meals and pumpkin cheesecakes and all your kids and grandkids. Let there be more additions to the family as years pass by. Thanks for this poem. It’s been a while since I had read a poem. It tickled my senses and made me want to write one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Andrea! And thanks!

      (You must be pretty young not to recognize that song. . .)

      Delete
  6. Hope your Birthday proved to be extra special and filled with the people and things that you love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday dear Craig! The Beatles never gets old don't they?! Hope you have the best of health, happiness, time and fortune in abundance this year. How was the cheesecake by the way? Do share photographs of your celebratory meal and your grandchildren (who are oddly not Vera, Chuck and Dave!)

    ReplyDelete