Friday, January 26, 2018

Sad Times at the Alma Mater. . .

There are no words to describe my sadness over the situation over at my alma mater. I mean, it is beyond awful, and anything I could say runs the risk of seeming trite.  I wish it were a bad dream, and I could just wake up and make it go away, but alas, it is all too real. . .

I am a father of three daughters, and I understand all too well the sheer helpless rage that this awful person was able to abuse so many young women, who are themselves someone's daughters, right under the noses of people who were charged with protecting the well-being of those young women.  I mean, some of the abuse happened while the girls' mothers were in the room with them.  Such was the level of this man's deception and depravity.  It boggles the mind.

On one level, I understand how it could happen.  Dr. Nassar had achieved for himself a certain lofty reputation as a sports doctor.  He didn't just work at MSU; he worked for the US Olympic women's gymnastic team, which won gold medals, and whose members became the darlings of TV coverage every four years.  Some of the women who testified in court had more-than-modest fame.  There was a level of prestige that accrued to the university for having such an eminent doctor on its staff.  So, when he 'explained' his abusive actions as 'cutting-edge' medical techniques, there was a disposition to accept his 'explanation' at face value.  Because, you know, he was a 'cutting-edge' guy, and he knows things the rest of us don't.  It can be hard to see things one would rather not see. . .

There were 156 women who spoke in court about being abused by Dr. Nassar.  One hundred and fifty-six.  It seems pathetic to even cite the number.  To paraphrase Josef Stalin, one young woman abused is a tragedy; 156 is a statistic.  But each one of these young women was somebody's daughter.  And they weren't all university athletes; the youngest was only 6 years old. And all they wanted was to play gymnastics.  Or soccer, or softball, or volleyball, or tennis, or track.  Getting sexually abused wasn't supposed to be part of the program.

I have always been a proud alumnus of my university; I have bled green, as we like to say.  But this is just the saddest, most awful thing I could imagine.  The kind of thing that happens someplace else.  But this happened here.  At my school.  And people I have admired and respected were found wanting.  The school's president and athletic director have both already resigned/retired, and one wonders who'll be next.  I have no idea how events will finally shake out, and what the university will look like when they do.  I hope that things are put in place to ensure that such a thing can never happen again; or at least, that the next would-be abuser is stopped at least 20 years sooner. . .

One of the women told the court that her life had been ruined.  I would hope, and pray for her, that that won't, ultimately, be true.  Harmed,she has certainly been; perhaps even scarred for life.  At least one of my daughters has suffered abuse, from which I was unable to protect her.  And she was irrevocably harmed by it; her life has not gone the way she planned when she was young.  But her life wasn't ruined.  She is a stronger woman today, even notwithstanding the awful things that were done to her.  There is healing, even if you walk with a limp.  And I would pray for healing for each of those 156 women, and the unknown others who didn't speak in court.  Don't let this define you.  You are worth so much more than Larry Nassar gave you credit for. . .

-------------------------

(add, 27Jan)

Rachel Denhollander was the first of Larry Nassar's victims to go public, and the last to speak to the court. Her statement is a hundred thousand times more eloquent than anything I've said, or could ever say.  I encourage all my readers to read it, in its entirety. . .

11 comments:

  1. It boggles the mind, did others really know it was going on and just ignore it? I wonder. Do not leave a child alone in such a situation ever. Mom's go in the room with the doctor and if he objects be concerned and see another doctor.

    Trust but verify!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that blew my mind was that a number of the young women said that he was groping them while their mothers were in the room with them. He'd position himself so that Mom couldn't see what he was doing. And of course, it was all so very 'cutting-edge', right?

      Delete
  2. We watched the sentencing on TV yesterday and the judge really made him sweat while waiting on the verdict, she even gave him the opportunity to withdraw his plea and also the opportunity to say that he was guilty which he was too arrogant to do because he still doesn't think that he was wrong. I like that the letter he wrote to the court is being kept from being released to the public, this is not about him, it is about all of these girls that he abused.

    I pray that they can get through all of this without this monster being stuck in their heads from now on. Like the judge said they are no longer victims now these girls are survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I wonder what his neighbors think. . . And his kids. . .

      I've been a juror in Judge Aquilina's court. Just between you and me, I wouldn't mess with her. . .

      Delete
  3. ..... what amazes me most? He can't get a life sentence for this. Having two daughters my inclination is to ask why he can't get a death sentence. 150 came forward. How many more were there who couldn't or wouldn't? With his position, profile, and the organizations he associated with tell me that the number could be just a drop in the bucket. 150 should have been enough to put him away for good, but the max for this particular set of crimes is 40-150. If it were not for his other conviction, that could lead to him getting off after 20 if he hit the right parole board ..... just think about that.

    Some weasels are criticizing the judge for her stern words and I'm trying to figure out why those critics haven't been shouted down and chased outta town. He pleaded guilty, her words paled in comparison to the evil committed. Bravo judge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we don't have the death penalty here in Michigan. Altho, the history of pedophiles in prison might suggest otherwise.

      Not that I'm hoping he gets killed in prison, you understand. God sees; and that ought to be terrifying enough. . .

      I'd encourage you, or anyone else, to read Rachel denHollander's statement (link added above) all the way through. She speaks the Truth, the whole Truth, and nothing but the Truth. . .

      Delete
    2. Yes, I had already read that. It's abundantly clear that all of the organizations involved need to be shut down and re-created with all new leadership. Lawsuits and judgement s are not going to fix the severity and depth of the criminal neglect and cover-ups that are endemic to these institutions. Alas, that will not happen. A few folks will be served up as sacrifices for the greater good of the organizations and that has not ever worked very well before.

      Delete
  4. It's beyond comprehension. I guess the moral of the story is to never leave your child alone with another adult ever. I hope that there is monetary compensation for counseling for all of these young women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As noted above (and per Ms. denHollander's statement), Mom being in the room wasn't the deterrent that one might have hoped it would be. . .

      The legal ramifications for the university (and USAG) are just beginning. The criminal trial having been completed, now the civil trials can commence in earnest. . .

      Delete
  5. I started to comment the other day.
    It wasn't very coherent.
    Basically, what I wanted to relate is that it is a sad state of affairs that so many will automatically consider anyone with any kind of connection to your Alma Mater as somehow tainted.
    I just choose to ignore those folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blood is in the water, for sure. And some folks won't be satisfied until they burn the whole school down (how's that for mixing metaphors?)

      Delete